URI Undergraduate Researcher Stipend
The Undergraduate Researcher Stipend enables undergraduate students to carry out mentored, interdisciplinary research projects and creative works activities. The URI stipend allows undergraduate students in any year and any discipline to enrich their university experience through hands-on discovery and skill development in a research intensive university.
Targeted funding is also available through the URI Stipend program for projects meeting the following criteria:
- projects advancing campus sustainability (see the Campus as a Living Lab program for more details).
- projects supervised by faculty members who are current Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) grant holders.
- projects involving students or supervisors affiliated with the Faculty of Agricultural, Life & Environmental Sciences (ALES), and aligning with ALES research themes.
- projects undertaken by Indigenous students.
These funding partnerships provide a mechanism for students to be considered for funding from various sources through a single application and adjudication process. Proposals for targeted funds are subject to the same adjudication process as general URI Stipend proposals, and are not treated preferentially. Proposals that do not meet the criteria for targeted funding are welcome and encouraged.
Program Guide (for applicants & award recipients)
Please review the program guide for detailed information about student and supervisor eligibility, award conditions, adjudication criteria, and application instructions.
How to apply
The URI Stipend application must be submitted online. Paper or email application forms will not be accepted. We recommend that students and supervisors complete the application using the offline template provided, then students should submit the final, completed version through the Google Form.
There are two application cycles per year. Application deadlines for 2017-2018 are:
- Monday, October 30, 2017 for projects beginning in January 2018
- Wednesday, February 28, 2018 for projects beginning in May or September 2018.
Applications are to be submitted online by 11:59 p.m. on the deadline day. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Applicants will be informed (via email) of the competition results approximately 4 weeks after the deadline.
Resources for URI Stipend applicants
Current URI Stipend Recipients
Support the URI Stipend
The URI Stipend is made possible thanks to the generosity of donors. If you would like to help support high-impact research experiences for undergraduate students, or would like more information about making a gift to the URI, please click here or contact us.